Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

August 22, 2017, 11:00:44 AM
: 1
: Puzzle: Ask a question!  ( 9685 )
« : May 18, 2007, 04:12:17 PM From Poonam»

Puzzle: Ask a question!

At a fork in the road between two cities, you see 2 people. One always tells the truth, and comes from the city of safety. The other person always lies and comes from the city of cannibals, where they will eat you. They both look exactly the same. You must choose one of the persons, and ask him one and only one question. What question could you ask to find out which path leads to the city of safety?

Liked It? Share it!

« #1 : May 21, 2007, 01:28:27 AM From Sarbartha Sengupta»

question-->
"if i ask the other person  which road leads to city of cannibals which road he will select?"

i will go to that road to go to the city of safty.
« #2 : May 25, 2007, 09:26:52 PM From A»

Let the two persons be A & B.
The question I'll as A will be "What will the other person answer if I ask him which path leads to the city of safety?"

Whatever the person A replies I will take the opposite path.
Reason: If A is a liar and B tells truth always, then A will say the opposite of what B will tell. Hence I have to do the opposite of what A says to be on the right path.

Now if A is the person who tells the truth and B is a lier, then A will tell the answer what B is going to say,which will be a lie since B is a liar. Hence even then I have to do the opposite of what A answers.
« #3 : May 26, 2007, 09:25:56 AM From kumar_sarma2000»

nice one karanth. u have given a beautiful answer
« #4 : January 15, 2010, 02:32:28 PM From Abhishek»

Question : "Which way to your village pal?"

Take the route he answers.

If he is from safety village, he will say truth and show you the path to his village.
If he is from cannibal village, he will lie and show you the way to safety village which is not his village.
: 1
« previous next »

Best RatedList All>>

Latest
Random

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines | Contact Webmaster | OnlineFunDb.com © 2009/10 | Legal Disclaimer