Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

February 21, 2018, 05:11:39 PM
: 1
: Find the place!  ( 6658 )
« : May 15, 2007, 10:51:14 PM From Ria»

Find the place!

How many places are there on the earth that one could walk one mile south, then one mile west, then one mile north and end up in the same spot?

Liked It? Share it!

« #1 : May 26, 2007, 10:57:24 AM From sivaram»

two.. the poles.
« #2 : May 26, 2007, 03:05:47 PM From Shrinidhi»

How can one walk south from south pole??
« #3 : May 27, 2007, 11:57:45 AM From PSM»

then the answer is only onle pole that is north ...............
If the questio would have said that first we go 1mile north then west then south ..then the answer would have been south pole........
« #4 : May 27, 2007, 12:44:17 PM From Ria»

The answer is that there are infinite number of points from where this can be achived.
North pole is right and south pole is wrong.

Which are the other possible points on earth where this can be achieved?
« #5 : May 27, 2007, 12:53:24 PM From PSM»

u r saying their r infinite no .of pt.where this can happen ...then u r saying that an equilateral triangle is formed...after u completes all three lines seeing from top....
now hoe do u think this is possible at any othe pt.. other than the poles??
« #6 : May 27, 2007, 12:57:45 PM From A»

You are compelling me to reveal the answer. But I request you to think on this for a little more while.

PS: He never said it forms an equilateral triangle.  ;)
« #7 : June 05, 2007, 01:57:35 PM From spazinvader»

It should be an equilateral triangle.Else we cannot get to the place we started.

According to me,if we consider the directions in the exact 3d space we are living then the answer is each and every part of earth.
Let me explain what i have said.
If u say the answer as north pole, u guys just assume tat u r standing in the north pole and move on accordingly.
In the real world, u can consider the place u r standing and make directions according to that place.Then it will be just like north pole.
Instead of considering the directions from map,if we consider the real world and assume directions according to our position,each and every area on earth will obey it,even the part considered as south pole in maps.

Guess karanth have this in his mind.
If any of this or totally this is wrong then notify in this thread please.
« #8 : June 05, 2007, 09:35:45 PM From Ria»

SpazInvader, great analysis.. but its not the answer. Don't know what Karanth has in mind... but the actual answer is more logical.

There are many places from where if you walk one mile towards South pole, walk a mile westwards from that point, and walk one mile towards north pole and you are back at where you started.

THINK!  8)
« #9 : June 16, 2007, 10:38:05 PM From spazinvader»

Is it the equator line?
« #10 : June 29, 2007, 11:44:49 PM From prithvi»

now can we plz have the answer???
« #11 : June 30, 2007, 11:07:25 AM From Ria»

Ok here is the answer.

Imagine a circle around the earth which is of circumference 1 mile. There will be 2 such circles on the earth. One close to the north pole and one close to the south pole. Consider the one closer to the South pole.
Now take any point in this circle. From this place, go one mile north. Make this as your starting point. From here go one mile South and you will hit the circle mentioned earlier. Go one mile west from here and you will be back at the same point in the circle as the circle is of circumference one mile. Go one mile North and you are at the same point from where you started your journey.

Since there are infinitely many points in a circle, there are infinite answers to this puzzle.

Hope this justifies.
 :)
« #12 : June 30, 2007, 09:29:44 PM From rashmi»

i wud just like to add to ur answer ashish..

there are infinitely many such circles too near the south pole

we can consider a smaller circle where travelling two ciracles will add up to one mile.. then still smaller where 3 circles make one mile and so on..

actaully this is a microsoft question.. the answer they expect is..

1+ infinity * infinity

1 is the north pole and infinity is the no of circles and other infinity is the no of points on each circle
: 1
« previous next »

Best RatedList All>>

Latest
Random

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines | Contact Webmaster | OnlineFunDb.com © 2009/10 | Legal Disclaimer